Basmah Bint Saud bin Abdul Aziz Al Saud
Born in Riyadh to the Saudi Royal family, Her Royal Highness (HRH) Princess Basmah is the daughter of King Saud, and the granddaughter of King Abdel Aziz, the founder of the modern state of Saudi Arabia in 1932.
HRH Princess Basmah is a world figure recognized for working towards improving people’s lives and society at large. She is also a successful business woman with several companies established in Saudi Arabia and abroad.
She is a talented writer and uses this skill as a platform to advocate humanitarian causes as well as to provide world leaders and thinkers with advice on political and social issues in the Arab world and the wider Middle East.
A Social Visionary
HRH Princess Basmah is a conservative reformist, who is interested in improving people’s lives by empowering and providing them with the necessary tools to succeed, which leads to improving society at large.
HRH has turned to writing and journalism as a necessary platform to reach people and interact with them. Whether through printed media, TV or social media she has touched the hearts and minds of people and made a positive impact on their lives.
She is considered a conservative reformist although she is not afraid to ruffle feathers in pursuit of justice, human rights and individual freedoms as well as women’s rights. She has written for leading media such as Al Hayat, Al Ahram, Al Medina Weekly and Sayidaty. She has also been interviewed on many TV stations throughout the Middle East and internationally.
As an active member of society, she has lead several daring initiatives that are important in her native country:
- Princess Basmah established the Basmah Bint Saud Government & Corporate Politics and Risk Consultancy: It supports and motivates people using a wide range of communication
- Basmah Comprehensive Center for Women’s Security Training: A center specialising in providing women with necessary security and life support techniques.
- WAGE Global Advisory Committee: Her Royal Highness is a member of WAGE which promotes women’s leadership in designing and advancing the green economy given the scarcity of female players in the industry and other economically driven fields.
- Patron of Saudi Art & Artists: She dedicated efforts to the empowerment of Islamic women’s art.
- Global United Lanterns (UGL): Princess Basmah’s humanitarian organization which works to solve humanity’s gravest problems.
- The Fourth Way Law: A global constitution created to usher the world through the current period of instability. It aims at tackling the root causes of discontent and creates the conditions necessary to bring access to opportunity to all and a way out of the threatening turbulence of recent years.
Throughout her active humanitarian journey, HRH Princess Basmah visited Syrian refugees (2013) in Jordan and Lebanon where she was able to raise awareness for their needs and daunting challenges.
HRH Princess Basmah is sought out by leading global and regional think tanks and intellectual organizations to express her opinion and provide an insight into various causes and challenges that effect the world. Some of these conferences are: Women Leaders Forum, Yale Club of New York, International Symposium on Human Rights in Saudi Arabia, Arab – Israeli Peace Initiative in Doha, European Policy Center, The University of Cambridge, Madeleine Korbel Albright Institute, Oxford University Union, The University of St. Andrews, Women’s National Republican Club, UCLA, Chatham House, The Middle East University in Amman, The Arab Bridge Center for Human Rights, Enriching the Middle East’s Economic Future VIII, 4th Gulf Education Conference 2014 and Urban Muslim Woman Show.
Furthermore, HRH Basmah is an observer of humanitarian and legal activities in Saudi Arabia and on the international scene. Her Highness was recognized for excellence in social and humanitarian activities by the French Parliament that awarded her with a medal
Her Highness is keen to promote the Saudi Art Movement in the West, yet she also focuses on her native country where she takes interest in women’s sport as well as people with special needs. She is also active in supporting the building and development of social infrastructure in the Saudi society. Furthermore, HRH works to encourage women to join the political, economical and social spheres and play an equal role in leadership and executive positions within Saudi society and government, whether locally or globally.
She has also participated in conferences including the Munich Security Conference, 3rd Berlin Foreign Policy Forum and Trust Women Conference as well as an honorary guest at South-South Awards, United Nations General Assembly, Pearl Initiative, United Nations Women’s Leaders Forum, New York Fashion Week, International Media Awards, Sexual Violence Summit and The Saudi-UK Investment Forum.
Her Royal Highness continues to fulfill her duty by appearing on influential media such as BBC, Sky News, CNN, ANB TV (Lebanon), MTV (Lebanon), Bloomberg, France 24, Al Hurrah TV, Focus TV, Radio Jordan, The Voice of the People, Sheffield Live as well as articles in publications such as The Independent, Perfil, Argeninian Newspaper, Yo Dona Magazine, Vanity Fair and Huffington Post.
A Successful Business Woman
Princess Basmah is an active business person as she has conceived, launched and chaired several investment and operating businesses in Europe & Saudi Arabia. Along with a solid investment portfolio, she is chairing the following organizations:
- GURA (Global United Research Centre): A global power house that serves as a think tank for charting and providing insight about social & economical trends as well as for identifying strategic opportunities where GURA works with strategic global partners.
- Inseed Holidings: An investment company in the food service industry with several brands operating in different parts of the world and continuously expanding. Some of these brands are: Les Artistes in London, Dibaje in Jeddah, Fish Me, Craze and Kitaaki. The Inseed umbrella also includes HRH’s own RB fashion, tea and perfume lines.
- Invireo: A company that specialises in environmental solutions and alternative energy.
An Internationally Trusted Advisor
HRH Princess Basmah has been recognized by world organizations and think tanks for her contribution and sound advice. She is a member or has active involvement with several international associations and organizations:
- Chatham House
- University of California, Los Angeles (UCLA)
- The Center for Middle East Development (CMED)
- The Next Century Foundation
- The International Media Awards
- Munich Security Conference (MSC)
- Berlin Security Conference
- Member of The Clinton Global Initiative
- Observer at the UN Assembly
- Annual Honorary Guest to the Jordan Media Institute
HRH Princess Basmah has earned significant knowledge and life experience by being exposed to different cultures around the world. Having studied at the Christian Sister School in Lebanon and later pursuing her higher education in Switzerland and London where she focused on sociology and psychology before embarking on in depth training on strategic thinking.
She is a situational leader and a convincing communicator, two traits that convinced thousands of people to believe in her vision and follow her lead. This has been demonstrated through a mass turn out whenever she speaks in public or through social media.
HRH Princess Basmah has a strong interest in languages and has mastered English and French along with her native Arabic.
She is also passionate about nouvelle cuisine as she spends her free time transforming traditional native cuisine into modern recipes savored by food connoisseurs.
Her Royal Highness, Princess Basmah Bint Saud, has settled in Saudi Arabia where she is currently focusing on bringing her children up, whilst being an active member of society in fulfilling her royal and social duties. She has vowed to be the voice of ethics, fairness and transparency, which is reflected within her duties and obligations.
HRH Princess Basmah can be reached through the following media links:
Basmah Bint Saud Official Webiste: www.basmahbintsaud.com
Global United Lanterns: www.globalunitedlanterns.com
The Lanterns: www.thelanterns-g-lounge.com
You Tube: Youtube Channel : http://goo.gl/CnTSiQ
The 4th Way Law: HRH Fourth Way Law : http://goo.gl/gDfcDn
Twitter: @PrincessBasmah (Arabic)
- The Princess was born in Riyadh on 01.03.1964. Around that time her father, King Saud, was overthrown by his brother Prince Faisal. That same year she and her Syrian-born mother left Saudi Arabia and settled in Beirut where the young Princess attended a Catholic nuns’ school until 8th grade.
- Civil war breaks out in Lebanon. Princess Basmah and her mother leave for the UK where she passes her O' and A' Levels at the Oxford International College.
- Princess Basmah studies one year of Sociology at Richmond College and two years at the American college of Leysin in Switzerland.
- Princess Basmah moves to Syria with her mother Jamila Merhi. Studies medicine, Psychology and English literature at the Beirut Arab University.
- Marries and has 5 children
- Divorces and embarks on her business ventures and journalism career. She writes for Al-Medina Weekly Newspaper, Al-Hayat, Al-Ahram, Nisf al-Dunya and Sayidaty English magazine.
- Establishes Inseed company with four brands, 3 in catering and one in media:
- Craze Abstract Art Cafe: café and gallery
- Kaa’kati: Authentic Lebanese sandwich bar
- Fish Me: Fast food fish chain
- Global Media Ecco: media
- Princess Basmah moves to London, continues with her writing and media appearances.
- She starts developing a project very close to her heart, The Lanterns United Global, a global network of people and organisations working towards a more egalitarian world.
- Princess Basmah opens her media office Ecco in west London and is currently working on expanding her company, Inseed into the UK market. She is also working on establishing her career as a speaker and independent television producer as well as preparing to launch an online newspaper.